F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Lost by all the abbreviations !!
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
force_feed
Private
 
force_feed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 6AT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Lost by all the abbreviations !!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm new to the BMW community, and you all use abbreviations for just about anything.

I seen the "BMW-related ABBREVIATIONS" thread, but it refers mostly to car features, not aftermarket or mechanical parts.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11465

I figured we might could compile a list of abbreviations for newbies like myself.


Abbreviations:

CP = Charge Pipe
DCI = Dual Cone Intake
DP = Down Pipe
FBO = Full Bolt On
FMIC = Front Mount Intercooler
HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump
LPFP = Low Pressure Fuel Pump

Last edited by force_feed; 02-19-2014 at 10:42 AM.
force_feed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,568
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Don't worry you'll catch on soon enough. I felt the same way when I joined. Worst case just ask and someone will tell you what it means
__________________
rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
glennQNYC
Captain
 
glennQNYC's Avatar
 
Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.83]
I've been a automotive enthusiast for almost 43 years and this is the only place I've ever seen horsepower abbreviated to "hrs."

__________________
glennQNYC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Twix
Captain
 
Twix's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 X1 28i Sportline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Posts: 693
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
I'm still trying to figure out what BMW stands for. Some say it's list it's translation during the middle ages and that it really stands for Bavarian Manure Wagon. All we know is it's called the Bimmer!
Twix is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,568
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I've been a automotive enthusiast for almost 43 years and this is the only place I've ever seen horsepower abbreviated to "hrs."

That must have been a mistake. Everyone knows horsepower is just appreciated to "hp"
__________________
rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
mscottc
New Member
 
Drives: x28X1
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
That must have been a mistake. Everyone knows horsepower is just appreciated to "hp"
And all this time I thought it was "abbreviated" to hp, not "appreciated" to hp. Though I do appreciate all the cool electronics HP has made over the years.
mscottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
glennQNYC
Captain
 
glennQNYC's Avatar
 
Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
That must have been a mistake. Everyone knows horsepower is just appreciated to "hp"
I'm not sure if it's just one poster or what, but I've seen this lunacy in multiple posts. I guess the person(s) are abrieviating "horses" to "hrs" but instead I read it as "hours."
The abbreviation for horsepower is HP people!
__________________
glennQNYC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,568
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
And all this time I thought it was "abbreviated" to hp, not "appreciated" to hp. Though I do appreciate all the cool electronics HP has made over the years.
Iphone autocorrect
__________________
rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
force_feed
Private
 
force_feed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 6AT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Updated abbreviations list
force_feed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Billup
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
 
Billup's Avatar
 
Drives: Your mum crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NC / MI

Posts: 682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I've been a automotive enthusiast for almost 43 years and this is the only place I've ever seen horsepower abbreviated to "hrs."

I always thought "hrs" was a polite abbreviation for (w)hores.
__________________
2012 Black Motorbike
2008 Red Car
Billup is offline   Azerbaijan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pmeloche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada

Posts: 1,614
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what BMW stands for. Some say it's list it's translation during the middle ages and that it really stands for Bavarian Manure Wagon. All we know is it's called the Bimmer!
I think it means Bayerische Machinen Werk.
__________________

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pmeloche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada

Posts: 1,614
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by force_feed View Post
I'm new to the BMW community, and you all use abbreviations for just about anything.

I seen the "BMW-related ABBREVIATIONS" thread, but it refers mostly to car features, not aftermarket or mechanical parts.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11465

I figured we might could compile a list of abbreviations for newbies like myself.


Abbreviations:

CP = Charge Pipe
DCI = Dual Cone Intake
DP = Down Pipe
FBO = Full Bolt On
FMIC = Front Mount Intercooler
HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump
LPFP = Low Pressure Fuel Pump
I'll be damned. That is not what I thought DP meant.
__________________

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
BRAISKI
Colonel
 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada

Posts: 2,377
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
I'll be damned. That is not what I thought DP meant.
thats what I told her!
BRAISKI is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,976
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
I'll be damned. That is not what I thought DP meant.
double parked ?? lmao
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST