F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I35 M loaner
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
KGIL
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

I35 M loaner

My first post on this forum. Just took delivery of a 2012 335 with 3k miles. Deal was too good to pass up. It has just about every conceivable option and stickered for about $59k and I got it for about 40% back of that. I'd post pics, but really......does anyone need to know what another red F30 looks like?

This is my 4th 3-series and I'm moving up to this from an '02 M5. Needless to say, this car feels.....different. Lighter steering, lack of "solidness".....and this is with pretty low miles. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

I luv the transmission. I've driven MT's for about 30 years and this my first AT and it's really cool. I haven't had the car a week, but so far I'm not missing the MT. While I haven't had it long, I'm using paddle shifters all the time with Sport mode.

Love the size. Smaller than the E39, but every bit as much inside room and I think it actually has more leg room in back.

There were a couple things with the car that weren't perfect, so I took it into the dealer and they gave me a I35 M-package, auto. Holy crap. THIS is what a BMW is supposed to drive like. Felt fast and super solid. 335 is plenty fast for me, but it just doesn't feel as fast or as nimble. Great sound and I swear those seats are better than what's in the old M5. Great steering wheel, too. No iDrive or configuration settings. Just a beautiful, smartly placed button labeled SPORT......and dang, does it work.

If only I could get that car in a 4-door 3-series size. Maybe the M3, but I'd like to think I'm done with M's. They be a pretty penny for repairs.

Anyway, this forum has been a wealth of info. Thank you. Keep it coming.


Kevin G
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
fecurtis
Major
United_States
25
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Yeah it seems that their smaller cars have the reputation of still being the "ultimate driving machine" where the other models have sacrificed driving pleasure for a little more room and comfort, just depends on what you'd like.

May want to check out the M235i too, that's supposed to be a blast to drive as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Bimmer-Mac
Private
Bimmer-Mac's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

I must agree 100%. I love the tech in my fully-loaded 335xi, but the drive is less than stellar.

I have driven my mom's 135i M-Sport vert several times, and it is the very definition of a pocket rocket. The steering is sublime, and the engine and throttle response is perfect (tho the 335i is the same). As much as I love the 8-Sport-AT, the 7DCT in the 135i is just as good, and makes a beautiful rev-matched noise on downshift. Drop the top and the sound will seduce you much more than the 3.

Yes, the build quality on the 3 is much better, but boy do I wish it drove like the 1.
__________________
2013 335i xDrive M Sport Line || Glacier Silver || Black Dakota || Aluminum Hex w/ Black Highlight || DHP || Premium || Driver Assistance || Cold Weather || Technology || Sport Auto || HK Sound
In the Family:
2010 VW CC 2.0T Lux (traded in), 2014 428xi Luxury Vert, 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
333
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (2)

why do you keep saying i35??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
KGIL
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
why do you keep saying i35??
You're right. Don't know why I so that.

Build quality is better on 335? Not positive I agree....at least on mine. Mine is a 1/2012 build, so I'm probably begging for issues. We'll see. The 135 seems so much more solid, even as a loaner with 13k miles.

It'll be great. I'm just reading too much into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
mrich1353
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335I x-Drive
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (0)

You don't specify if your 335 is RWD or X-Drive. If it happens to be X-Drive, you lose a lot of the drivability you desire without DHP. Steering wheel...is your an M-Sport which has a thicker wheel.
I came from two E60's and an F10; love the 335I, but you coming from the holy grail of E39, it is a tough act to follow!
__________________
2013 335I X-Drive - Alpine Wht/Coral,M-Sprt, Sprt Auto, PPK ,DHP, Prem, Tech, Cld Weath,H-K,Prk Asst,Rear Cam.
Gone-2011 535I / Gone-2010 535I / Gone-2006 530XI
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
MicrophoneMic
Private
0
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: F30 N55
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CST

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGIL View Post
My first post on this forum. Just took delivery of a 2012 335 with 3k miles. Deal was too good to pass up. It has just about every conceivable option and stickered for about $59k and I got it for about 40% back of that. I'd post pics, but really......does anyone need to know what another red F30 looks like?

This is my 4th 3-series and I'm moving up to this from an '02 M5. Needless to say, this car feels.....different. Lighter steering, lack of "solidness".....and this is with pretty low miles. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

I luv the transmission. I've driven MT's for about 30 years and this my first AT and it's really cool. I haven't had the car a week, but so far I'm not missing the MT. While I haven't had it long, I'm using paddle shifters all the time with Sport mode.

Love the size. Smaller than the E39, but every bit as much inside room and I think it actually has more leg room in back.

There were a couple things with the car that weren't perfect, so I took it into the dealer and they gave me a I35 M-package, auto. Holy crap. THIS is what a BMW is supposed to drive like. Felt fast and super solid. 335 is plenty fast for me, but it just doesn't feel as fast or as nimble. Great sound and I swear those seats are better than what's in the old M5. Great steering wheel, too. No iDrive or configuration settings. Just a beautiful, smartly placed button labeled SPORT......and dang, does it work.

If only I could get that car in a 4-door 3-series size. Maybe the M3, but I'd like to think I'm done with M's. They be a pretty penny for repairs.

Anyway, this forum has been a wealth of info. Thank you. Keep it coming.


Kevin G

I think I saw your car at United BMW of Gwninett. I seriously considered it several weeks ago, but ultimately passed because I wasn't really a fan of red and also it didn't have DHP (really wanted that). I think it had only 3400 miles and was fully loaded w/ every option minus the DHP, but also was a dealer loaner/dealer demo. At any rate, it was definitely a super deal. Congratulations on the car. I was real close to getting it! I probably would have bought it if it had DHP. I remember the car had the stock 401 19's, something I'm still trying to locate now.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
KGIL
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicrophoneMic View Post
I think I saw your car at United BMW of Gwninett. I seriously considered it several weeks ago, but ultimately passed because I wasn't really a fan of red and also it didn't have DHP (really wanted that). I think it had only 3400 miles and was fully loaded w/ every option minus the DHP, but also was a dealer loaner/dealer demo. At any rate, it was definitely a super deal. Congratulations on the car. I was real close to getting it! I probably would have bought it if it had DHP. I remember the car had the stock 401 19's, something I'm still trying to locate now.
Wow, you're good. Yep, that was it. It was nice working with Gwinnett even at long distance. I guess I didn't do my homework, though. I wanted DHP as well, but I thought the M-suspension option sort of took care of that and that DHP was not offered on the early MY12's. I'm probably wrong.

I originally was not a fan of red either, but for that price, I could live with it and its growing on me. I really like the 19's, too.

I'm not positive it was a "dealer loaner". Might be worse than that actually; it was previously registered to the BMW Performance Center in NJ. Does that mean it was a test car or something? Could've been, but I thought their performance center was in S.C.. Potentially scary, but my thought is that it only had 3,400 miles on it and still plenty of factory warranty.

We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
KGIL
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich1353 View Post
You don't specify if your 335 is RWD or X-Drive. If it happens to be X-Drive, you lose a lot of the drivability you desire without DHP. Steering wheel...is your an M-Sport which has a thicker wheel.
I came from two E60's and an F10; love the 335I, but you coming from the holy grail of E39, it is a tough act to follow!
RWD, Sport Line w/ M suspension for whatever good that offers. Not sure. I do like that thicker steering wheel. I didn't give careful consideration to x-drive. I've always ran previous BMWs with Blizzaks with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
dan99
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
326
Posts

 
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Neb

iTrader: (0)

Nice, I saw that they had the 135is there AW with red leather/ stick shift at Markel's BMW.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST