F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Has anyone bought salvage title cars?

03-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Dmepper
Registered

Drives: BMW Z4

Has anyone bought salvage title cars?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys! I'm going to buy a salvage 323i. If anyone here dealt with buying salvage title cars (or simply knows some information) I have some questions - what kind of damage did the car have and did you have any issues with it after you repaired it? Also, was it very difficult to resell the car afterwards? Here are some cars I'm choosing from at the moment, would you buy any or better to look for something else? Thank you all in advance!
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/673...23i-Front+end/
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/672...%20autom-Side/
http://www.advertisecarsfree.com/636...23i-Front+end/
http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory....r+DESC&isct=2&
http://www.salvageautosauction.com/v...rgia/id/1/pg/1
      03-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
MDecals
The Vinyl Guy

Drives: Slow

Honestly, with my experience with salvage cars, no matter how good the repair shop is, the car will never be the same. Be careful

Your Source For All Things Vinyl!

Official Decals: Bimmerpost | E90post| M3post | F30post
MDecals is offline   Armenia
      03-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
bim_power
Private First Class

Drives: BMW

Resale is also difficult because people will keep wondering why it was totaled and what did you do to bring back to life.
bim_power is offline   United_States
      03-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

I've not done one myself, but I had a friend recently look into the issue. He had a very nice 1990 Honda minivan (wife's car), with 160K on it, but he was meticulous with it and other than mileage, it looked brand new. As an example of how good shape the van was in, last year the trans developed a leak between the cases; he pulled the trans, went through the whole thing himself as a DIY, replaced all the seals, O-rings, and gaskets. Well, few months ago his wife t-boned some 16-year old who decided to ignore traffic. The van was repairable body-wise, but the air bags had gone off. Based on the age and mileage the insurance company totaled it.

He was going to salvage it and have the body work fixed by a shop. But the airbag replacement was costly part of the repair, so he was going to do himself. The problem was, he found out that in our fine state of Virginia, that any repairs to a salvage-title vehicle have to be performed by a certified repair shop, so no DIY to save money on the repairs and make it worthwhile to him to fix the van. You should check into that if you are planning to do the repairs yourself.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      04-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
srs_bsns
Private

Drives: 2011 550i sport

I don't personally have experience salvaged cars, but still would tread with caution. I personally think salvaged cars would be a great buy if you personally are able to work on the car or identify significant problems, but definitely should avoid cars that have possible frame damage.
      04-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
Sfvalley135i
Private First Class

Drives: 135i

salvage cars are rarely repaired with safety in mind. Most salvage cars are repaired to look fine, however small things such as getting a perfect wheel alignment or body panel gaps to line up is nearly impossible.

If you do buy a salvage car, plan to drive it into the ground... Or expect to get $3-5k 6+ years from now.
      04-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
335is808
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335is

first 2 cars were salvage, a 350z and a rsx. no problems at all, Sold them the same price i bought them as well. just make sure they're not front end engine damage and it should be solid.
      04-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
STR3T
Private

Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Flood cars show as salvage too right? Electronics can be totally hosed on flood vehicles...