F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 left front strut/spring noise, is it normal?
Steve Thomas BMW

09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
bavarianride
Second Lieutenant

Drives: bimmer

F30 left front strut/spring noise, is it normal?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Mine is 328i AT no line standard suspension with 8k miles so far. Lately while entering and exiting parking lot(with change in pavement heights) I can hear noise from the left front wheel, it sounds like the spring bounces up/down. BTW there is no noise on speed bumps. Today at lunch another 328i luxury line owner(10+k) tells me the same. Has anyone else experienced this? It is too early for the spring/shock/strut to wear that fast at 8-10k miles, right? Any clue if silicon lube can solve this?
      09-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
qdup1
Registered

Drives: BMW 335i Sport

I'll help you out. You need a new steering rack. Take it to the dealer and describe the problem. Tell them it is the steering rack and BMW Corporate knows about the problem. They will test, then order the part (check OEM parts catalogs for specifics) from Germany (two weeks) and replace (two days).

If service has questions about the nature of the sound, do this: With the ignition off and the hood open, turn the steering wheel quickly left/right and observe the knock (that is what it sounds like).

My new steering rack resolved the "clunk" problem mentioned elsewhere on this forum under various problems descriptions (suspension, steering, ???). The new rack also added some a little steering weight (thanks) and made the car feel more solid.

Good luck!
      09-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
bavarianride
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdup1 View Post
I'll help you out. You need a new steering rack. Take it to the dealer and describe the problem. Tell them it is the steering rack and BMW Corporate knows about the problem. They will test, then order the part (check OEM parts catalogs for specifics) from Germany (two weeks) and replace (two days).

If service has questions about the nature of the sound, do this: With the ignition off and the hood open, turn the steering wheel quickly left/right and observe the knock (that is what it sounds like).

My new steering rack resolved the "clunk" problem mentioned elsewhere on this forum under various problems descriptions (suspension, steering, ???). The new rack also added some a little steering weight (thanks) and made the car feel more solid.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I tried your suggestion, but with ignition off, the steering cannot be turned. Do you mean to have ignition on and engine off?

Also, the sound happens with the steering wheel already turned, and it sounds like spring loading and unloading rather than a "clunk", can this be the same issue with steering rack?
      09-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
qdup1
Registered

Drives: BMW 335i Sport

Ignition must be off in order to hear the noise. The steering wheel will turn but will be heavy....unassisted. The objective is to produce the 'type' of noise by demonstrating the excessive play in the steering rack.

The steering rack noise is described differently by each individual. Some call it steering rack, others suspension, and other tie rod ends or worn bushings. In my research, it always ends up being the steering rack. The odds of an irregular shock or spring problem are low but possible. (Tip: search forum/internet for "F30 clunk")

This is a documented problem for the F30 and BMW has revised the steering rack several times to solve it. Try gain to move the steering wheel with the ignition off, listening for the sound at the junction where the steering 'column' meets the steering rack. When moving the wheel sharply in each direction you will hear a 'clunk' (even the new racks do it to a small degree). If this sounds like the noise you hear, then this is your problem. If not, then you must search elsewhere.

Again, good luck.
      07-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
RadRyDawg
Private

Drives: '13 F30 335i MS-EB MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdup1

Good luck!
You were right. Same issue for me, steering rack took care of it. 335i m sport 11/12 production, no VSS no mods
      07-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class

Drives: Yes. :D

There's another thread with a video which might you diagnose if its a steering rack problem - Clicky

'10 530d, '11 535i, '13 320d
fre2bpowerless is offline   India
      07-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
aksi
Private

Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdup1 View Post

Good luck!
Happened to see this thread and started to wonder if mine might have the problem down the road. You said BMW finallu fixed the problem after revisions. Mine is 11/2013 build. Did they find the solution before mine was built?
      07-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
bavarianride
Second Lieutenant

The videos are hopeful. My steering rack does not make that sound while turned(with ignition off). The noise from the front suspension is now gone, so my guess is that the struts+springs have settled down with more miles.