F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Launch control - what have I done wrong??
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
FSE23
Major
FSE23's Avatar
122
Rep
1,233
Posts

Drives: F30 335dx MSport MG 2014
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Launch control - what have I done wrong??

On a lovely Sunday afternoon on my way back home from a weekend trip I decided to try a Launch control. Parked my car in a bay with the engine running, read the manual, went step by step and...........
something went wrong. I held my left foot on brake and then pressed acc to the bottom and to my surprise the car started running even with my foot on brake. So I released it immediately. I was so surprised, that I did not even see if the flag appeared on display. Transmission was on sport and driving mode was sport +.
What have I done wrong?
__________________
Current: 2014 F30 335d Msport / MG with ACS springs
Previous: 2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Mattt1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
33
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: 335d xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lincs

iTrader: (0)

Manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
FSE23
Major
FSE23's Avatar
122
Rep
1,233
Posts

Drives: F30 335dx MSport MG 2014
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

handbook says - engage gearbox position S - and that was what I did.
__________________
Current: 2014 F30 335d Msport / MG with ACS springs
Previous: 2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
ukbeemerboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
176
Rep
2,392
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somerset UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Did you turn the traction off?
__________________
Scott

2014 BMW 330d M Sport : 2015 BMW 220d M Sport
2008 Mini Cooper : 2007 Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
brommy
Captain
19
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: UK, North Worcs

iTrader: (0)

I tried LC for the first time yesterday. A long lay-by beside a national speed limit A road was my choice. Worked a treat - astonishing acceleration to 70mph (approx 6 seconds) with awesome traction and absolutely no wheel spin.

Anyway, here's a few tips to get LC working -

1) Engine needs to be warm (>75C should do it);
2) Stop car (handbrake off!) and enter Sport+ mode;
3) Put left foot hard on brake pedal (like emergency braking) and hold it down;
4) Push auto transmission lever to the left to enter sport/manual mode;
5) Push the accelerator pedal to the floor with right foot (chequered flag appears after a second on the right hand side of the black panel display);
6) Take left foot off the brake pedal whilst keeping right foot 'floored';
7) Say hello to 60mph in less than 5 seconds!

I suspect those who haven't managed to trigger LC haven't quite followed one or more of steps 1, 3 or 5 above.
__________________
335d collected from TRL on 4/3/14
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
FSE23
Major
FSE23's Avatar
122
Rep
1,233
Posts

Drives: F30 335dx MSport MG 2014
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

it was on a long run so temperature was about 100C. I put my left foot on brake ...and I think it was maybe not hard enough. But I floored the accelerator pedal and the car started at the same time with my left foot on brake!!! It was on Sport + which turns the traction off. I will try with pushing brake pedal very hard again.
__________________
Current: 2014 F30 335d Msport / MG with ACS springs
Previous: 2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
chiefy
Captain
chiefy's Avatar
United Kingdom
6
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

sorry may sound like a daft question but is LC standard on a m sport??
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #8
Brigand
Lieutenant General
England
3327
Rep
15,998
Posts

Drives: 330dx F31 EBII
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy1983 View Post
sorry may sound like a daft question but is LC standard on a m sport??
It comes with the 8 speed sports auto box, does not depend on trim level.
__________________
Owned: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
Ads4
Second Lieutenant
Ads4's Avatar
9
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It comes with the 8 speed sports auto box, does not depend on trim level.
I think only 2014 models have it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #10
chiefy
Captain
chiefy's Avatar
United Kingdom
6
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Thanks will test it when I get back from offshore.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
aacabriolet
Captain
aacabriolet's Avatar
No_Country
61
Rep
975
Posts

Drives: '14 435i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piono
On a lovely Sunday afternoon on my way back home from a weekend trip I decided to try a Launch control. Parked my car in a bay with the engine running, read the manual, went step by step and...........
something went wrong. I held my left foot on brake and then pressed acc to the bottom and to my surprise the car started running even with my foot on brake. So I released it immediately. I was so surprised, that I did not even see if the flag appeared on display. Transmission was on sport and driving mode was sport +.
What have I done wrong?
Provided you have the sport auto box, you probably didn't push the brake in hard enough. Also, will only activate after a 10km uninterrupted drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #12
RobUK
Colonel
RobUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
404
Rep
2,398
Posts

Drives: 340i EBII
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads4 View Post
I think only 2014 models have it?
Yep, I have Sport Auto but my MY12 doesn't have LC (not that I ever think I'd need it)
__________________
340i in Estoril Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
40
Rep
1,067
Posts

Drives: F31 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Super Leeds

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
I tried LC for the first time yesterday. A long lay-by beside a national speed limit A road was my choice. Worked a treat - astonishing acceleration to 70mph (approx 6 seconds) with awesome traction and absolutely no wheel spin.

Anyway, here's a few tips to get LC working -

1) Engine needs to be warm (>75C should do it);
2) Stop car (handbrake off!) and enter Sport+ mode;
3) Put left foot hard on brake pedal (like emergency braking) and hold it down;
4) Push auto transmission lever to the left to enter sport/manual mode;
5) Push the accelerator pedal to the floor with right foot (chequered flag appears after a second on the right hand side of the black panel display);
6) Take left foot off the brake pedal whilst keeping right foot 'floored';
7) Say hello to 60mph in less than 5 seconds!

I suspect those who haven't managed to trigger LC haven't quite followed one or more of steps 1, 3 or 5 above.

Daft question, but do you have to shift gears yourself?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
brommy
Captain
19
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: UK, North Worcs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Daft question, but do you have to shift gears yourself?
No, the box shifts automatically and rather quickly!
__________________
335d collected from TRL on 4/3/14
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Brigand
Lieutenant General
England
3327
Rep
15,998
Posts

Drives: 330dx F31 EBII
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Daft question, but do you have to shift gears yourself?
Only with the manual ......

__________________
Owned: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
F30Andy
Major
United Kingdom
152
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: F30 330d Msport SDrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Yep, I have Sport Auto but my MY12 doesn't have LC (not that I ever think I'd need it)
Take it from someone that has it. It's all a load of hype.
A skilled enough driver can achieve the same result without using it.

I've used it three times in the 7 months I have had my car.
The first time was just to try it out.
The second time was shortly after the first time because after looking so forward to using it, once I'd actually done it all I could think was "is that it?" So just to make sure I had to do another one.
The third time was just recently to show someone what a load of overhype it actually is.

Unless you are using LC in something over 400bhp it's a bit pointless.
Have used it in two different F10 M5s and in about half a dozen E60 and E63 M's. They are cars where LC actually makes a difference and you can feel the benefits of it. In our cars I think BMW have used it as a marketing tool. It's there for the sake of being there.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
vip
Major
vip's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
1,045
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW f30 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

It does work on 2012+ models. Watch the video below from 1:12:

__________________
2012 335i (f30) Alpine White, Dakota Black Leather, Sportline, Premium, Technology, HK, Black Mudflaps F&R, ER 4" catless dp
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
Brigand
Lieutenant General
England
3327
Rep
15,998
Posts

Drives: 330dx F31 EBII
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
It does work on 2012+ models. Watch the video below from 1:12:

So it works on 2012 UK spec cars?
__________________
Owned: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
jusdorange
YOLO
jusdorange's Avatar
Monaco
265
Rep
2,847
Posts

Drives: #mw
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Monaco

iTrader: (0)

launch control is only really of any use to cars with like 400 plus bhp, esp 4wd cars

having launch controlled a nissan gtr, that thing can really go
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
brommy
Captain
19
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: UK, North Worcs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Take it from someone that has it. It's all a load of hype.
Unless you are using LC in something over 400bhp it's a bit pointless.
Have used it in two different F10 M5s and in about half a dozen E60 and E63 M's. They are cars where LC actually makes a difference and you can feel the benefits of it. In our cars I think BMW have used it as a marketing tool. It's there for the sake of being there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdorange View Post
launch control is only really of any use to cars with like 400 plus bhp, esp 4wd cars
Guys, I don't think anyone is claiming LC has a use; it is, as Rob Brydon would say, 'Just a bit of fun'.
__________________
335d collected from TRL on 4/3/14
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #21
vip
Major
vip's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
1,045
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW f30 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
So it works on 2012 UK spec cars?
not sure, maybe only 335i models.
__________________
2012 335i (f30) Alpine White, Dakota Black Leather, Sportline, Premium, Technology, HK, Black Mudflaps F&R, ER 4" catless dp
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
F30Andy
Major
United Kingdom
152
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: F30 330d Msport SDrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
not sure, maybe only 335i models.

All model year 2014 onwards with the 8 speed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST