F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Msport with roof rack?
PYSPEED

11-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
snelldogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan 6mt, Sports, Nav,

F30 Msport with roof rack?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
If you have a rack can you please put a pic up for me? Contemplating it as I constantly have a need to move my bike around and don't want to trade cars with he wife. I and had it on my 2010 A4. Not sure if I will like the look on my 335. Thanks a lot in advance.

Opinions welcome
      11-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I'm also interested to see how it looks like.. I have no plans to install one anytime soon, but possibly in the future

'14 335i Alpine White on Coral Red | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Spacers | M Perf Grills | Painted M Perf Spoiler | Painted Reflectors | M Perf Pedals | 3M ColorStable 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Could always fold the rear seats down and remove the front tire (if your bike allows) to fit it inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
mntbiker
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Could always fold the rear seats down and remove the front tire (if your bike allows) to fit it inside.
Yea, this is what I do. I mountain bike about 3x a week and just take the tire off and put the bike in the trunk with the seats folded down. I had the roof rack for my 1 series and used it for 3 years... but it's a pain. I bike enough that I didn't want to be taking the rack on/off constantly. Also, it's annoying to have to take the bike on/off outside of the garage before parking the car after my rides.

I decided that I would carefully place the bike in the trunk. I can leave it in there securely, park in the garage without hassle, use my moonroof without insanely loud noise, and it helps my gas mileage. Plus the car looks much nicer w/o the rack! Worth getting a little bit of dirt in the car, I'd say. You can get cargo mats and things to keep the back fairly tidy.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
dc503
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Are you carrying multiple bikes? Road bike? Mountain bike?

I felt the same way Mntbiker did when I had my rack, it wasn't any more convenient to me. Once I took it off for a trip, I ended up just leaving it off and back to sliding the bike in the trunk.
      11-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
snelldogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mostly 1 of 2 Mtb. They are filthy coming off the trails. Especially when Muddy. Roof rack or the wife's SUV. Not interested in the trunk.

No one has pics?
      11-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M Sport EBII

I asked the same question about 3 months ago. One person posted a pic. I can't find it anymore. Let me do a search for that picture. I was planning on Yakima or Thule for the lower profile and fairing.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
AweSam8
United_States
Rep

This is JNLBC's f30 using the OEM set-up.

EDIT: delete?? I am unable to delete this double post via mobile app.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
AweSam8
United_States
Rep

This is JNLBC's f30 using the OEM set-up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
dc503
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelldogg View Post
Mostly 1 of 2 Mtb. They are filthy coming off the trails. Especially when Muddy. Roof rack or the wife's SUV. Not interested in the trunk.

No one has pics?
Yeah, that's why i asked...if you mtb, I think the roof rack is necessary.
      11-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I don't like the OEM set-up, definitely need a lower profile.. Either way I don't think we will ever be able to make a BMW look good with roof racks (like a WRX / STi for example)

'14 335i Alpine White on Coral Red | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Spacers | M Perf Grills | Painted M Perf Spoiler | Painted Reflectors | M Perf Pedals | 3M ColorStable 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
snelldogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
I don't like the OEM set-up, definitely need a lower profile.. Either way I don't think we will ever be able to make a BMW look good with roof racks (like a WRX / STi for example)
Im afraid I agree. The Yakima Rack i had with fairing looked great on my A4 but doesn't have the same appeal to me on my Msport. If i did it I would get the new Whisper Bars from Yakima as they fit directly into the OEM slots on the roof. I would love to see pics before committing.

Thanks to those who responded!
      11-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
JNLBC
Major
Rep
Drives: AW M-Sport F30 335i

Yeah, I have the OEM one and I like it, honestly if its too low profile I would worry about more getting scratched on the roof. I just take it off when I'm not going to be utilizing it for a while.

The only other one I'd consider are like the Yakima Whisperbars or the Thule Wingblade? I forget what they call theirs. They ended up being almost twice the cost of OE so I just went with these.

Side view, stock ride height. The rack actually looks much better now that I've lowered the car.

Last edited by JNLBC; 11-22-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
snelldogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNLBC View Post
Yeah, I have the OEM one and I like it, honestly if its too low profile I would worry about more getting scratched on the roof. I just take it off when I'm not going to be utilizing it for a while.

The only other one I'd consider are like the Yakima Whisperbars or the Thule Wingblade? I forget what they call theirs. They ended up being almost twice the cost of OE so I just went with these.

Side view, stock ride height. The rack actually looks much better now that I've lowered the car.
Do you think a fairing from Thule or Yakima would fit on your crossbars and or look good?

Your car looks good with the rack, thanks for putting up the pic!
      11-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #15
JNLBC
Major
Rep
Drives: AW M-Sport F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelldogg View Post
Do you think a fairing from Thule or Yakima would fit on your crossbars and or look good?

Your car looks good with the rack, thanks for putting up the pic!
Actually that's what I want to get next. Only one of them has a universal type fitment though I think its the Thule one. Inno is supposed to do a collaboration with Fatlace that includes a white camo that I want to check out once its released.
      12-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
Tylerlanger1
Rep
Drives: MINI Paceman JCW

I have a OEM setup with two bike mounts for sale if interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
snelldogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So i took the plunge. Pics aren't great and car is dirty but i think it looks pretty good.
Attached Images

01-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
ofcounsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Looks great!!!

I had roof racks on my E90 335i for a while. I had a set of Thule Criteriums that I'd been transferring from car to car for about 9 years. Loved them (except that I couldn't take my bike to work because I park in an underground parking garage).

This past April, I traveled to Vegas with 2 buddies of mine to do some MTB riding. Our first day in town, we got up bright and early to trek out to Bootleg Canyon. I should have had my coffee, because I was confused and having a hard time getting out of the parking lot. I finally saw an opening out of the parking lot through a pedestrian overpass.

As I headed towards the overpass, my buddies were buried in their cellphones. None of us gave the overpass much thought or notice. Unfortunately, I forgot I had 3 29er MTB's loaded on the roof racks. Not good. The bikes missed clearing the overpass by about 4 inches, causing significant damage to all three of the mountain bikes.

As the leading edge of the bikes hit the overpass, they peeled the bikes up, and bent them back causing racks to buckle up and break, and also pushing down onto the back of the roof, causing it to buckle. As the rear window crashed in on us, it sounded like a large explosion. My buddy in the back seat got glass all over him. As I put the car in reverse to back away from the overpass, the two bikes on the end of the racks had broken off the rack arm but were still attached to the wheel straps, so they fell, slamming on the side of my doors.

Turned out to be a scene out of a goofy insurance commercial.

53 days later, I got my car back. This time around, I thought I try out a hitch rack. So I went to Uhaul, and had them mount a hitch (total cost including install was about $300). I then bought myself a 1 Up USA hitch mounted rack. The rack is an awesome machined piece of art.

It folds up nice and compact, fitting nicely in the back of my trunk with lots of room to spare.

It weighs about 26 1/2 pounds, so it's not too heavy to carry around.

Installing is pretty quick and easy, taking only about 2 minutes.

It unfolds nicely.

It slides in easily into the hitch receiver

Once in the receiver, it tightens up in place using a proprietary Allen wrench that's provided with the hitch. Once tightened, it's rock solid, with absolutely no side to side or up/down movement. The proprietary allen bolt mount allows the rack to be effectively theft proof.

The rack holds onto the bike without any part of the rack touching the frame. The arms are designed to slide on to the tires easily, and once pushed on, remain locked in place until lifting up on the red levers at the bottom.

When no bike is mounted, you can fold the rack up for clearance.

The rack is part of a modular system, which allows up to 3 bikes with a 1 1/4" hitch and up to 4 bikes with a 2" hitch. The base rack carrier is $299. Additional racks bolt on to the base rack in a bout 30 seconds using the same allen bolt/key system. Each one is $199. It may sound like a boat load to spend on a rack, but the overall system even with hitch installed is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than my Thule set up.

Admittedly, it's not aesthetically cool as my roof rack set up. And the hitch isn't "hidden" it will always be visible. But it's quieter than the roof rack and won't affect gas mileage.

I'm going to get my F30 hitch mounted this weekend (I bought the hitch from the local U-Haul for $155.00). **********s.com in La Habra, CA is going to do the mounting. I'll take pics once it's done.
      01-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #19
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

01-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #20
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Touring anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #21
JJS
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Touring anyone?
Yup, even if my Touring comes with roof rack rails, I'm never fitting them.

| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #22
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I hate roof racks and I would rather spend another 25k for an SUV. Oh wait I did that. Just kidding it's the wife's. I use her car for hauling duties, this is not what my BMW is for...
Appreciate 0