View Single Post
      05-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahner View Post
Wow. I didn't know people were actually from Macedonia!
I was in Bulgaria a few weeks ago and that place is also in rough shape. I will only venture out of Skopje for a bit so I doubt I will get a real taste of the country, and most of my time will be spent helping train their army, so I don't know how much positive economy I will actually be bringing! None the less, I will do my best to boost the cash flow of the beer business
Beer!
I recall cousins saying that there are some good local beers in Skopje.
Of course wine and brandy seem to be preferred over there, especially the white lightening "ra-ki-ja", pronounced "ra-key-ya". It's sort of like a grappa, as it can be made from distilling left over wine and wine must.
But, it's also made from other fruits as well.
The older local men like it "hot". Basically, they don't age it in wood barrels to smooth it out as better high cost brandies are made. That "hottness" is high alcohol content and it can really bite if you're not prepared. But, that's the style many seem to like, like my father. He LOVES the stuff and the "hotter" the better.

Make sure to try "kebapi", pronounced "Keh-bop-ee". They are a skinless sausage, seasoned with spices and plenty of garlic. The best are grilled on real wood fire, and served with break and onions, or even better, with green onions. They are great with a good cold beer.

I was born in Kumanovo, which is a bit north and east of Skopje. I do have relatives in Skopje. I remember Skopje to be pretty cook when I visited as a kid. I wonder what it's like now? I hear its' not too bad though.

I had planned to do a Euro delivery this time, and pick up my car in Germany and attempt to drive down to Macedonia, stay a while and then back north to a port. Some said not to.
However, one of my nephews visited last summer and told me it's perfectly fine to do so. His dad is a business owner with great income. He had recently, at that time, purchased an S class MB and had done to Germany to pick it up and all was well.

Yeah, I was born there and my family immigrated to the states in 1970.
I hope you have a good time, and I hope the place leaves you with a positive impression. Although, I'm surprised about a Macedonian "army"?
It's a really small country and surrounded by other larger countries. If times got bad that army would be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0