View Single Post
      04-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #162
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
This it OT for a BMW board but Audi has been a subsidiary of Volkswagen since 1965. VW and Audi have shared the same platform and engines across several models many of almost 50 years. The Audi A8 and VW Phaeton had the same D Series platform; the Audi Q7 and VW Touareg both used the same PL71 platform; the A4 and the VW Passat shared the same B5 platform; the Audi A3, TT and the VW Golf and Jetta all use the A Series platform... etc.

Going forward, the new Modular Transverse Matrix or MQB (for Modularer Querbaukasten) platform will be used by both the Golf and A3. For these and other cars, VW will further standardize parts like axles, steering columns, chassis, etc., to lower costs and also allow them to produce Audis nd VWs at the same plant.

You can cite back to the Auto Union days beginning in the 1930's to point out Audi is it's own company, but that's ancient history. As far as today and tomorrow are concerned, Audi to VW is like Lexus to Toyota. And no matter how silly you think that is, it is the way things are and will be.

Audi/VW and Porsche share the Q7/Toureg/Cayenne platform so does that make Audi also a Porsche? Nope so why does it make it a VW? Also the new Porsche Macan will use the MLB platform so again does it make the Porsche a VW? Nope.

If you have driven any of these you would understand that even if they used the same platform it doesn't make them the same cars as I said the Q7/Toureg and Cayenne drive vastly different. So will the Macan and Q5.

Porsche/Bentley and Audi will be sharing the MSB platform but these cars again will drive vastly different. So does that make the Audi a Bentley or Porsche? Not in my books unless they drive the same.

The A3 and Golf I would have to agree with you that they drive similiar but that said they are not the same cars as the engine is not the same and one is FWD and the other is AWD. The Audi TT also uses the A platform but if you think the TT drives anything like the Golf or A3 your out of your mind.

Also later BMW is going to be making a sport car with Toyota so does that mean that BMW will be a Toyota? Also the Mini uses gasoline engines from Peugot. Does that make the Mini a Peugot?

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...ta_86_platform

Do you think the BMW and Toyota sport cars will drive the same? I don't but if you do than you are going to have to deal with other forum poster on here and you are on your own.

If you think that the Porsches/Audi's and VW drive the same then obvious that you haven't driven any of these cars. Platform sharing doesn't mean anything if the cars don't drive the same.

That said Audi will only share the MQB with VW in the A3/Golf and then Audi will only use the MLB which it will share with Porsche.

Audi may also use the MSB which the Panamera is based on to produce an A9 but that is not solid.

So Audi will share more platforms with Porsche than with VW so are Audi's Porsches? Again the answer is no because these cars will not drive the same.
So if you want to say an Audi is a VW than I can say an Audi is a Porsche and we or at least I know that isn't true.

Last edited by ToyotaBMW; 04-06-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0