utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancod View Post
Great videos! I am in Dallas and would love to try and make the next one of these. Where do I look to see when they are scheduled?

I noticed that you have the JB4 on your car too. Would love to hear some feedback on that. I am thinking of doing the same, but concerned about some of the reliability issues I have read about.
First, if you're not already, join the BMWCCA https://www.bmwcca.org. You get a nifty monthly magazine "Roundel", a 10% parts discount at Classic BMW in Plano (lots of other dealers as well) bunches of other discounts at various places and additional owner loyalty cash when you buy new or CPO BMW's

I sound like an add for the CCA - lol

The Lone Star chapter (our chapter) does Autocross's ~once a month, and HPDE's a few times a year. The next HPDE should be next march at, wait for it, Circuit of the America's in Austin. That's a joint event between Lone Star chapter, Houston and San Antonio. It'll be blast. The club also organizes tours (high speed driving as a group through back-roads) and some road-rallies (timed events on public roads where you have checkpoints to reach at certain times, running ahead or behind your time you lose points, and you have to notice certain things along the way)

Lone Star events are usually posted here http://lscbmwcca.org/, but once you're a member and registered to our chapter, you'll get emails about events as well.

If you're interested in Autocross in DFW, there's a bunch of clubs that run - you could really go every weekend (sometimes twice). All the club's schedules are maintained on a joint calendar here http://dfwautocross.com. All the groups accept all makes of cars and none (except BMW) requires that you be a club member although most cost $5 extra if you're not. Most of the groups post here http://www.dfwmiata.com/forums/10-Autocross-Events a week or two prior to their event with details on how to register, track maps etc.

Also you could do HPDE's with Porsche club, or a number of the driving academy's that operate out of the tracks around here.

BMW CCA HPDE's are super cost effective - usually around half what a driving academy costs. It's also fun in the less prepped classes as most people are driving stock(-ish) BMW's so the cars are all pretty evenly matched. You're usually not getting passed by a car going twice your speed, or passing a car that's twice as slow as you.

If you've never done anything motorsport-ish, come out and do our last autocross of the season with us. Great way to learn car control and the limits of your car in a controlled environment . The next one will be on Saturday November 9 at the Airport in Mineral Wells Tx. Huge asphault surface with nothing to hit but road-cones (and corner workers, but there's no time penalty for corner workers) - and price of entry is usually ~$30-35 for the day. If you're a Novice to autocross we'll put an instructor in your car (for free) and if you don't have a helmet, you can borrow one from the club. It'd be great to see another F30 out there

-------------------------------------
JB4
-------------------------------------

I've had it on the car for about a month now, did one autocross and the HPDE with it. I had a "drivetrain malfunction" once on the first day of the HPDE - never seen that before, or since. It happened at an odd time, not under high boost or anything (there's actually a video of it happening with telemetry here) - I think I was rolling on the throttle in 6th about 3/4 throttle at 60mph coming out of a turn (wrong gear but I was stuck behind somebody at the time) Jump to 4:20 in the video - the comment sections of the video has a link to that spot

I turned off the JB4 after rebooting the car and left it off the rest of the first day. I turned it on for day 2, and everything was fine. No idea what happened or whether the JB4 was involved or not. When I get a few, I'm going to scan the computer and see if there are any codes in there, just haven't gotten around to it.

My biggest concern with the JB4 was that it would mess with the linearity of power delivery from the motor, make the car harder to throttle steer - that is not the case. The JB4 tune is very well-mannered, just like an N55 with the volume turned up to 11

I do have the Stage2, I've never had the Stage1 so I can't compare it to that.
Appreciate 0