04-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
Don't be a mooch? Car salesmen have been getting over on buyers for years before the internet allowed for comparison shopping and transparency. A dealership can sell below invoice and still make money. It's about long term success and moving cars, not trying to squeeze unsuspecting customers.

A couple of local dealerships used deception to try to scare me away from doing deals out of state. Said there was no way the numbers were going to be possible in the end, and no local service departments will want to service my car once they found out I did deals elsewhere. That's an outright lie and I reported him to BMW of North America(prob won't do a damn thing, but at least I felt better)

Now that the info is out there and people can smart shop they should not try to "mooch" (your words) and get the lowest price possible? The fact that the dealership dropped $80/mth at the drop of a hat once they saw I had better deals, tells me that they try to highball innocent buyers.

Anyway, most deals today are pretty easy for the salesman. I walked in with a printout of my build, knowing exactly what I wanted because of research on these forums and other resources. He had to do no work other than coming down to the price I was willing to pay. I knew more about the car and options than he did, and a few questions and issues I did have were not answered, nor resolved. I would say he helped only to be the person to give me the papers to sign. That took 10 minutes. I was then handed over to the financial guy who tried to guilt and scare me into protection packages which I declined. That guy's friendly demeanor quickly turned sour and the room turned dark once he realized he wasn't going to make extra profit.

These days the buyer is empowered and BMWs sell themselves. David at Steve Thomas realizes this and uses the internet to reach more people and thus moves more product for his dealership, which allows him to do deals close to invoice because it doesn't use up any extra resources.
I assure you, these days the sales person is the one being lied to not the customer. TRUST ME. And I'm talking about the sales person who spent weeks with you selling you a $100,000 product and making $200
I don't care about the dealership. Think about it.

My sales person tells me how someone comes in 5 times and drives 6 different cars only to go buy somewhere else cause they gave him $100 off.
some people are just discusting.

People also tell him "oh, the other dealership gave me a better price" Ok, so why didn't you buy it?
Anyways, tables have turned.. There are plenty of honest and reliable sales people out there.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD

Last edited by MDIVISION; 04-29-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0