View Single Post
      09-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Thanks again guys.

For amount of material, I'd stick with the 48" x 24". Especially if it is the first time doing it. I actually cut 2 center dash pieces as I wasn't happy with the first results. With the 48x24 I had enough for 1 redo and still had a tiny bit over to mess around with on some other stuff.

Regarding the cuts, the hardest cut is the center dash piece. Especially if you want to keep the silver stripe running across the bottom. You need to find the sharpest knife you can get. There is just enough lip running along that bottom edge that you can glide the knife along, SLOWLY, and hopefully get a good cut. If you could take the silver strip off it would be a piece of cake. One tip, first place the vinyl and apply heat so you can get the material really soft then kind of run your fingernail down the silver strip and make a crease in the vinyl.

Second hardest cut was around the center dash HVAC vents. But this was slightly easier as you could run your knife in the little gap between the burl wood and the plastic trim.

All vinyl was applied using heat gun and wrapped behind the trim pieces and then cut from behind (other than the 2 areas I just mentioned above). This was there are no other visible cuts.

I think if you are patient, have super sharp knife and heat gun or hair drier it's nothing to be intimidated by. The nature of the material lets you place and replace over and over while trying to get it lines up.
Appreciate 0