04-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #50
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
The reason I asked if your lights and Charlie's lights use the same projectors is that they did seem different. Maybe it was just the camera angle of the two sets of pics (yours and his) but they do seem to stick out more in his case.

I was curious if there are any drawbacks of extending the length of the acrylic extrusions on the outer halos so that they match/line-up better with the projectors? They currently look like they are about 3/4" or so in length... so say, lengthen them to 1" to 1.5"? Would that make them look weird? That might require lengthening the inner ones too to make them match...

Come to think of it, I didn't even consider mounting the projectors further back. When I went back to some of blueaudi18's work, it seems like he was able to recess the projectors pretty far back and keep the acrylic extrusion length to a minimum. I noticed the tip/end of the projector is flush with the LED rings, and even recessed a little ways back like in the last pic (in the dark). I'm wondering maybe if retrofit source might sell mini xenon projectors that have a lower/shorter profile... to fit in tighter/smaller housings. i'll take a look this weekend...
Yeah I think it's the angle of the pic but it's the same as mine. The only problem with making the acrylic wider would be fitment issues and not being able to adjust the light output. I had this problem on mine. When adjusting the light output I had to watch the acrylic (particularly the larger ring) carefully to make sure I wasn't forcing it against anything while going up or down. It moves with the reflective housing since I have it mounted there. I'm gonna try to redo mine and try to push the projectors back and hopefully there's enough room in the back housing. I just didnt wanna do excessive cutting in the beginning of this project, but I bet it would look a lot better. I think that last pic maybe an oem xenon headlight with custom extrusions, but I get exactly what you're saying. Dude let me know if retrofitsource has one smaller! Less cutting is always a better solution in my opinion and there's always room for improvement!
Appreciate 0