View Single Post
      06-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #104
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesnewbmw View Post
Before purchasing 340i...still trying to understand "Enhanced USB/Bluetooth plus smartphone integration". The BMW marketing gurus state that it "greatly improves network coverage and data transmission speeds, especially in rural areas." Not living rural, does this do anything for me in the operation of the Navigation system/mapping? Current 328ix has been awfully slow on everything - Doesn't seem that LTE would affect these functions - therefore the $350 sticker is worthless. Any guidance here?
Enhanced bluetooth lets you do extra things with the bluetooth....one thing for example is the ability to connect TWO phones at the same time......one for phone calls and one ONLY for music. I forgot what else enhanced BT does. I also think enhanced BT allows you to get text messages to the iDrive.

the smartphone integration utilizes the car as an antenna vs the antenna on your phone. Does it improve reception? maybe, marginally. the integration is limited to only a few select phone types. Is the integration worth it? not really. I think at the moment only iPhone 5/5s 4/4s.......forget about it if you have an android

regarding navigation and mapping.......neither enhanced BT nor smartphone integration does anything. the functionality for nav is soley based on the onboard processor (NBT being faster than CIC). the LTE only deals with downloading data......so when there's a map update, the data can be transferred wirelessly (vs plug and play now). the LTE is also good if you have BMW Internet in the car.