View Single Post
      05-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #104
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

tackled the front reflectors and rear reflectors today. i replaced them with painted versions and the results are quite nice and clean up the look of the car. the swap was very straight forward.

first, the front...

this is what i started with

turn the wheel full lock to gain access to three 8mm screw holding fender liner in place.

with the three 8mm screws removed

you can use a heat gun or hair dryer. i used the latter as i couldn't find my heat gun. not sure if this is necessary but figured it would help loosen up the adhesive holding the stock reflector in place for a cleaner removal. i started at the top and focused on an edge that i wanted to begin putting pressure on.

what the stock reflector looks like inside. just held on with double-sided sticky.

while working my way down with the heat of the hair dryer and firm pressure against the outside of the reflector with one hand and another holding the inside

here it is removed almost with the entire adhesive stripping completely intact for minor cleaning or residue before application of new painted reflector

the other side removed as well

working the leading edge of the other side for removal

other side came out just about perfect with entire sticky tape intact!

some goof off regardless to get any potential grime or residue for a flawless fit and finish of new reflectors. i took a plastic tool to the inside edge to make sure no friction was felt and wiped down as best possible for a clean surface for painted reflector to hold onto. these are the painted reflectors.

painted reflector almost ready for application

and installed, beautiful!

glad i got these done as the look is much cleaner and i don't think safety is greatly impacted. the price was right and with "free" install, even better. parts are from IND, service, price, and shipping was all excellent. install took about 20 minutes. def a nice intro to modding the new car if you're new to bmws.
Appreciate 1