View Single Post
      03-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #25
OneLapper
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
A place called JP Auto Transmissions out of Langford. Originally was going to be a week, but there were some delays and I had to wait about 6 weeks for them to get a pallet in. Didn't bother me since mine was already re-installed at that point. but they were very nice and helpful, and responded to all my requests. Quoted a better price than the manufacturer too!

Did you pick up the clutch pack already? I see them listed on eBay out of Slovakia for $300. Seems a little high, but I haven't looked around. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is on that part, but mine appeared to be in pretty good shape at 65k. If it makes it to 130K, I may need to look into that.
I didn't buy any parts other than the flange from FCP (knowing I could return that and the seal easily). From what I gleaned from your post, and the prices I found here and there on the web, the cost of the parts to completely rebuild (less the actuator $$$) the TC was about the same as the new TC from BMW. The warranty made it an easy decision, and the dealer had it in stock.

BTW, I had changed the TC fluid twice before it failed. The fluid was contaminated from the metal coming from the flange and shaft. I dont see how damage throughout the TC can be avoided when this happens, albeit the metal flakes are quite small, the fluid carries the metal in suspension and circulates throughout the bearings and clutch pack.

When this new TC is out of warranty, and if I find the energy and time, I would consider installing a couple of fittings and hoses to make it easy to change the fluid. Not sure that would extend the life of the TC though, it seems the weak point is the flange, which then sends metal throughout the system.

I guess we'll see what happens. The car has 90k miles on it. Lets see how long this TC lasts.

You know, I sold my TDI with 600k miles on it. Other than one turbo and two clutches, one alternator and few batteries, it was trouble free. I love this F31 but it's come home on the roll back twice in 20k. I had a 2006 330ix as a company car for 3 years and liked it, but by the end of the lease it had a couple of big repairs already done under warranty. I hope I don't regret buying this car!

Last edited by OneLapper; 03-28-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0