08-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Wheel lock lugs overtightened, key stripped

Hey guys,
So I had a mobile installer come out to install my brand new tires + rims, and before getting started, the mechanic was unable to remove my current OEM wheels with my OEM wheel key. He ended up stripping the key because the wheel locks were on too tight

With my stripped key (and possibly one stripped wheel lock lug), I went over to the Santa Monica BMW dealership (not my primary) and they tried to loosen with a breaker bar and their master key, but had no luck. They quoted me $200 per wheel and 4-5 hours of labor to drill them out using a special method and recommended I go to whoever caused the issue instead.

So I'm taking the car to my original service provider and dealership I bought the car from on Friday. I bought the car 1.5 years ago and serviced it with them once 6 months ago, nobody else has touched my wheels since. I assume some knucklehead at the dealership tightened them with an airgun against spec

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or a safe solution in case my regular dealership tries to gouge me for waiting 6 months to bring the issue up?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mlev; 08-21-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0