View Single Post
      09-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #2234
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

jjrandorin, you have to have the right attitude about the situation. I am an amateur negotiator. So I don't dwell on my mistakes but instead use them to learn. The dealers are professionals and trained to separate you from your money. Just try to be aware of the tricks of the mind they use and try to not fall for them.

A few things I have learned from my past mistakes:
1) After they look at your trade, keep asking for the keys back. They don't want to return them, but you asking lets them know you know what they are up to. They try to stick to their guns on the number but you just keep asking for the keys back. They have two options, give you back the keys and you go on your way or they move the deal more in your direction.
2) Don't sign anything other than sales and retail contracts. The sales guy will love to write some numbers on a paper and ask you to sign and commit to them mentally.
3) Always have a finance approval letter with some rates/terms from another outside bank. This lets you have some idea how good their rate is plus gives them something to beat.
4) Tell the dealer you plan to keep the car exactly for the warranty period and get a new car when it's up. This cuts down on extended warranty pitches.

In the end if you review your skills and missteps and try to not repeat them after a few purchases you can be a lot more prepared. I have bought 5 cars on my own and I feel like I finally have a grip on the game.

You also have a great point once it's over be happy, you got a car you wanted and you did your best !
Appreciate 0