View Single Post
      04-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
danielmtzf
Rep
Drives: Honda Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
BMW is quite good when it comes to their 4-year factory warranty with servicing inclusive. It's basically a bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except tires, brake pads and windshield wipers (I've heard you can get this covered if you play your cards right). For this reason, I would highly suggest you look at 2016 model years since they'd still have about 1 year of warranty left.

Because of the warranty, you can pretty must have a peace of mind when looking for used cars, even if it's a private sale. Just make sure that no major "unusual" repairs have been done and that the car drives properly. Check the brakes to make sure that the rotors aren't warped and and tires to make sure that there's even wear and no punctures. I've purchased 3-4 used BMWs in the past, and a quick test drive with a look at the service records was all it took. Since BMW offers free service for the first 4 years of a new car, you can get all the service records directly by going to any dealership's service department, even if the owner didn't keep copies of them.

One thing that I would recommend though is extended warranty if you are planning to keep the car past the first 4 years. BMWs are notorious for starting to break down after the warranty period expires.

That being said, if you are planning to buy a 2014-15 model year without factory warranty, I would highly suggest getting a BMW trained mechanic to look at the big things known for breaking down, like the water pump, thermostat, turbo, and possibly even the transmission.
Interesting... Ive never heard about tires and brakes possibly being included in the warranty. I plan on having this car for 5+ years so yea, Id like to get all the future warranties and all of that just to be safe. But yeah, I wouldnt go for anything 2015 and below.
Appreciate 0