First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
NO! ATF is for automatic transmissions. I changed my transmission fluid on my 335i last year at around 35k miles (it's a 2013). Used the original BMW manual transmission fluid. It is only around $35 per bottle and you need about two. Very happy with the result. No problems for the past year.
Out of curiosity, how difficult was the process and did you have to keep an eye on the fluid temps? If you can post the instructions, that'd be great.
This is very easy (especially compared to ATs). Just follow the Bentley manual for torque specs. The type of fluid needed is on the transmission (lt3 or 5). It takes around 1.5 liters. Make sure you open the fill plug on the side of the transmission first to make sure you can fill it after you drain. You need a fluid transfer pump (cheap one from Harbor Freight will do) and you just pump in the new fluid till it overflows. No specific temperatures needed, just drive it a little bit to warm up the oil so it drains better. Make sure the car is level on four jack stands or a lift. I send my old oil to Blackstone for analysis since these f30 MTs can fail do to weak synchromesh issues. This would show in the oil through excessive metal shavings.
Appreciate 0