10-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Fortunately, I installed a M Performance LSD. I'm just thinking about modifications for the next track season. I also have the M Performance Suspension kit but it feels too soft and low of a spring rate to combat body roll.

I'd lean towards getting Ohlins R&T coilovers before going with aftermarket sway bars.
The 6cyl M-Perf kit's front springs are about 10lbs/in stiffer than F8x ZCP springs. I'm going to be trying the F33 6-cyl M-perf front springs, which are an additional 30lbs/in stiffer. Ohlins front springs are an additional 100lbs/in stiffer on top of those.

Ohlins is the only company that boosts the rear spring rate in their coilover kit appropriately to maintain flat ride (this only applies to heavier 6cyl front models and not 4cyl).

You might want to ask kreuz how he's liking his set of Ohlins and M-Perf LSD after hitting Sonoma this weekend. We adjusted the dampening last weekend to make things smoother and more in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
A big thanks to you guys for documenting yet another big job on the f3x platform. This one looks like a major hassle which might explain why dinan only sells their bars when someone pays up first. Most people probably aren't going through the hassle or expense so I doubt they sell a whole lot of these. So, are the oe bars that bad, or did you guys do this for the purpose of documenting your own mods? Or was your car a bit unbalanced since you upgraded the rear bar...
Anyway, Keep up the good work! It gives me something to read while I'm babysitting the kids.
The OE bars aren't bad for their original design purposes. I'm just a curious person that likes constantly learning about things (and being able to transfer that learning). I don't do it for profit or free parts (and have never asked for any handouts). For the sway bars I wanted to learn how to do it, and what the effects really felt like.

With stiff enough springs I'd say the OE bars are plenty fine. Most F3x coilover kits have stiff enough front springs that I don't think a front bar change is as effective, however, most of them don't increase the rear spring rates enough, so a bit more bar back there is probably good even with coilovers.

I did feel the 17mm rear bar was a bit too stiff in conjunction with the OE front. The 1/2 series 15mm rear bar seems like a sweet spot.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161616.00