View Single Post
      01-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
The weather was around 2c so quite cold and the coolant temp registered as 1c before starting the engine. The journey to the garden centre was quite short just over 10 miles but the oil reached the correct running temp of 100c a Couple of miles before reaching the destination.
I suggest the N57 engine warms a lot faster than the older M57. No way would my 330d heat that fast at 2°C.

I've just looked at some trips in the 330d, at 1 - 3°C, (new thermostats). After 10 miles the ECT was still climbing, but only 82°C, dropping back to 78°C on the easy descent over 1/2 mile.

Another trip, after 13 miles at 6°C, the ECT was still climbing, but only 87°C.

There are several factors which come into play. Battery condition and whether the electric PTC auxiliary heater is running full capacity, assisting cabin warm up. The mpg during the warmup phase, engine loads over the mileage.

It's one thing I notice with the 535i, all spare heat is used to heat the cabin, no electric auxiliary heating element to help the HVAC system. That definitely slows the warmup phase.

Consider the engine load factor, in the 330d. The above example was reading 36.2 mpg at the 10 miles mark. That's a light fuel consumption, from a 2°C cold start.

Another example in the 330d was 'up the glen' at -4°C, climbing about 200 metres in 8.3 miles. ECT was just tipping from 87 - 88°C when I turned around. OBC was recording 21.5 mpg.

Return trip to home, immediately dropped back to 85/86°C. After the 8.3 miles to home was just 83°C. OBC showing 29.1mpg. Load and mpg reflecting not enough work to heat the engine, simply cooling down over distance.
Appreciate 0