United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Hey guys I had this exact thing happen to my fiance and I sunday. We were stranded at the top of Skyline Drive at Big Medows from 3-10pm. It was insane we saw bears and had to hike around for phone service god awful day.

My question is what is this part? What does it do for the radiator system? And why is such a critical piece/point of failure made so cheaply?

Wish I had seen this thread for the heads up! Thanks
It's just the coolant overflow hose... allows coolant to go into the overflow tank from the main cooling system.

It's not that its made cheap persay... its just BMW plastic so it will eventually become brittle after many heat cycles. Seems to be worse for people who live in climates with big temperature swings. I just replaced mine at 45k in California and the one i took off felt completely fine, new one almost seemed more rigid, even though it was manufacturer late 2019 (its stamped on the hose).
I guess what I am trying to visualize is how the overflow line can deplete the entire capacity of the system? Instead of just "over flow"?

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0