View Single Post
      10-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #89
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilMSport View Post
What exactly are we trying to confirm/dispel here? Virtual dyno is accurate/inaccurate? Why not jump on a dynojet and figure out what it's making?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Agreed on this, and all the VD talk is taking this thread sideways. Altho, EstorilMSport kudos on a stout build all the way back to 2018-19!

To get us back on track, bolt an aftermarket HPFP onto an FBO stock turbo EWG N55, flash this map, and you’re at ~425whp. Add a PS2 after that, and you’re 500+ whp.
I agree. I made the VD thread specifcally to discuss VD results, and i keep saying over and over putting other people's logs in VD is completely meaningless. You don't compare cars in VD, there are way too many variables its literally impossible to make a apples to apples comparison.

The entire point of VD is to use it as a tool to compare your own logs after hardware or software changes, with only one variable changed at a time, under the closest atmospheric conditions you can possibly get, and on exactly the same road to eliminate elevation changes (upslope/downslope) that would affect acceleration results. It's also useful for comparing back to back logs on your car to see things like how much getting timing corrections can affect your (estimated) power. I think the first two posts in my VD thead specifically illustrate this point, and they clearly demonstate the benefits of hardware and software changes and based on all other data from actual dynos and manufacturer claims they are quite accurate. But again putting a bunch of different people's logs in VD to compare to your own or eachother means nothing.

--> https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1710794

VD gets misused because people are obsessed with HP numbers for no reason at all. whether you are making xxx hp or xyy hp is irrelevant. All you need is a solid and reliable tune for your setup.

The only place VD would play a role relevant to this thread is if someone were to flash the BM3 stage 2 E30 map, go log, then flash the stage 2+ E30 map with no other changes, give the car a little time to adapt, then go back to the same exact spot under as close of conditions as possible and get another log on the new map. Then, we could toss them in VD and see what it looks like, because its just another way to estimate the delta from the tune change (similar to acceleration time, just inferring from logs), short of having actual back to back dyno runs. But again, its the delta that matters (and the curve, of course), not the peak hq/tq numbers, along with how clean the log is.
Appreciate 2
ZM22839.50