Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2015 /// 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Highly appreciated

But a (maybe silly) question for converting the LED types:

I got installed into my doors for the ambient light type 5630/5050 modules (smaller black ones) and into the foot well type 2016 (bigger white ones); you could find pictures of the sealed bags at first page of this thread.
How to find out why yours are designated as 1206 for the doors and 3528 for the footwell?
According to some pictures they look complete different to mine
I'm not an electrician so I can't provide a very clear answer for you. But I do know that different types of LEDs work, even if they stick out a bit from the pads where they need to be soldered. The 1206 LEDs are slightly bigger than the original ones, but the hitarea of the LEDs do match the pads on the PCB board. The ones from Benzinfabrik are totally different types (I have those too btw), and are much more brighter than the 1206 I got.

For example the "halo" on the iDrive originally has round LEDs which exactly fit in the holes of the PCB board. I couldn't find those, so I tried it with the 1206 LEDs. Those also worked perfectly fine, even though they have a rectangular shape. The brightness was better, the soldering was sturdy.

It's trial and error, I had certain type of LEDs lying around, and I read on other forums that they used the 1206 type. That's why I went for it. Hope this answers your question a bit
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12516.00