View Single Post
      03-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #20
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

An update is that the stuff from Autodoc turned up and got fitted today. I went for Zimmerman blanks and Ferodo Eco Premier pads which seemed to have good reviews and cold bite curves. They worked out at £40 a set and seemed a good option to get some pads in there. Hopefully they're an improvement over what was in there. Surprisingly, after 36k the pads were still 2/3 good and the discs had no discernible lip to them. Quite amazing but also testament to the fact the car seems to have been treated pretty well over the last six years. I'm about to get the rotors from the Impreza skimmed to get some surface corrosion off them so I'm actually tempted to get these ones done at the same time to get the corrosion off them and keep them as spares. It's only about £50 to get them done so for that it's worth a go. If the corrosion is too deep rooted then I'll tell them not to do the second disc but they have less actual wear on them than my 5000 mile AP rotors on the scoob!

As to uprated pads I suspect I'll still go for something but I wanted to have some benchmark to go with, as well as needing a pad while being indecisive. It's much easier to compare new with new to be objective than it is to be objective with going from old OEM to new uprated and say 'yuss, theeez are da best, they iz awesom' because you've gone from worn out to fresh.

The actual fitting process is easy - the hardest part was getting the damned disc bolt out which seemed well stuck. It took a fair amount of whacking with the impact wrench to get it off on both sides. I reckon I'd have had both sides done under an hour quite easily but I was teaching my mate's daughter how to work on cars as a consolation prize to having not been able to do practical engineering at school this year. Therefore it was a good few hours. Not that I mind, people helped me out when I started working on cars so it's only fair to pay that on. She definitely needs to get stronger to undo and redo some bolts though!
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00