11-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #86
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I think it opens the door for some hard racing to the end of the season, BUT, the drivers may have very different mindsets.

Verstappen may well feel that he has been given the green light to continue to drive very assertively (personally I think it's assertive rather than aggressive) whereas Hamilton still has a points deficit and cannot risk DNF's.

They are both very skilled and confident wheel-to-wheel racers. I think it's going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds.
I'm not sure it does open the door to hard racing because, as Toto Wolff and some of the drivers are now making clear, it seems that if what Max did is acceptable then this means that the inside car always controls the corner, whether or not it is ahead, and so an outside position/overtake is not going to work...

(and I think it was part of an aggressive defence, rather than an assertive move... Lewis was, IMHO, being the assertive one of the two in the manoeuvre...)

This means, for instance, that a late lunge up the inside that is likely to take you wide in the corner, even off the track, totally off line, will be OK and the car to the outside will have to take avoiding action...

Is not that different to how the events at Silverstone were viewed at the time...

I have no doubt we are yet to see the end of the fight between them (and I do definitely want to see a fight), I just hope it is not decided in a court room at some later point...

IMHO, the FIA have introduced confusion and doubt here, rather than clarification...

I am not after Max being penalised retrospectively, but the FIA ought to now issue very clear guidance for both the drivers and the stewards for future races... what is and is not acceptable...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
RhysoTDI180.50