View Single Post
      11-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #89
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq_z View Post
Just sharing my experience with the F8x LCAs on my 335i since there is information missing in this thread about the retrofit.

Because the F8x LCA's are longer than the F30's the wheel gets pushed forward (positive caster) as stated in this thread already, and introduces 2 problems:
1. How to correct the caster/push wheel back to avoid rub in the front
- I decided to install caster adjustable bushings on the OE thrust arms instead of opting for the F8x thrust arms, as many have stated that they do not correct the caster. The bushings I went with are PowerFlex part No. PFF5-1901G black race series and I believe can be adjusted to +/-4 degrees . Before taking the oem thrust arms off, I could tell that the bushings were worn as I could see cracks in the rubber and was able to rock the arms a bit by using force. This would result in a lot of deflection once under load. The powerflex bushings are solid and have no deflection, which I was worried would make the ride harsh, but they're surprisingly not too bad. They did push the wheel back slightly but not to the original position which is fine with me. The steering is way more sharp and the car turns in much easier even after the LCA install. Also, braking has improved dramatically since there's now more camber and less deflection in the bushings.

2. Because the F8x LCAs are longer, the OE tie rods need to be threaded out pretty far.
- After installing the F8x LCAs there was only about a 1/4 inch left on the tie rods which made me really nervous. I didn't find any info on whether the F8x tie rods fit the 335i so I took a gamble and ordered them. The outer tie rods are interchangeable, ie same for F3x and F8x. The inner tie rods are definitely longer by about an inch compared to the OE 335i rods. However, they thread right on just like the OE rods and worked out perfectly. This just gave me peace of mind but I'm sure it's also a must if you're doing this retrofit. Imagine you hit big pothole or some sort of road imperfection, the shortened rod could possibly snap or bend as a result.

Alignment specs in the front are now LR -2.1/-2 Camber, 7.7 caster and 0.12 toe.

Hope this helps.
So you used inner and outer f80 tie rods?
I'm about to order everything I need for this, I was wondering about that because I had the same worry of such little engagement

I am almost at the point of swapping an f80 front subframe in, I just wish I knew if my steering rack would work/mount up to that subframe as they are different part numbers.

Do we know if it's the subframe or hubs that cause the wheels to sit forward? I'm really getting curious as subframes are not very expensive and I've pulled them before…
Appreciate 0