View Single Post
      12-11-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
IMO be careful because it’s easy to be reading these spring drop estimates and specs and make incorrect assumptions about how a spring might ride and drop on your own car.

I used the Eibach German catalog to research because it lists the individual front and rear springs in each kit. (See photo for some of the information that I collected that pertains to your 440i RWD.)

Then I wrote up a list of questions about specific struts or shocks compared to the ones in the kit specified for my car which I used as a baseline. I asked about spring rates and difference in drop compared to my baseline.

TAKE BASELINE CHASSIS HEIGHT MEASUREMENTS
Fill the gas tank. (16g of gas weighs ~100lbs) Make sure to park on a flat surface (concrete is best) and take stock measurements at all four corners. Measure from center of BMW wheel cap straight up to the lowest fender lip. This measurement is always the same regardless of wheels/tires. Expect their to be differences between left and right sides. It’s normal.

So you could be fixating on tire/fender gap by staring at one side of the car, and it could be different on the other side.

Also Eibach estimates are pretty good, but springs and cars vary so results can vary. The only way to get around this fact is to pay much more for the adjustability of coilovers. With your car, to keep the expensive high tech Adaptive Suspension that you already invested in, IMO the KW DDC kit would be the one to get.

IMO if you go with just springs and you end up with a slight positive rake that actually looks good, compared to the XDrive reverse rake with a huge gap over the front tire. And remember it could look slightly different on one side of the car versus the other side.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3