View Single Post
      03-26-2024, 11:31 AM   #18
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
What type of work are you comfortable doing on cars and what type of resources do you have to said work? Do you or your parents have tools? Garage? Are you or a relative skilled enough to do work?

I would stay away from higher mileages. You have no way of verifying if someone’s car was actually driven highway miles despite what is claimed. These are great cars but I can’t help but be concerned that you arent in the proper financial situation to weather the storm if something goes wrong. Two recent anecdotes on my N55 -

1. Last winter, my water pump died. But it manifested as a dead battery. So I actually spent almost $300 replacing the battery (replacing it and registering it myself), and then I spent $550 on a water pump kit from FCP Euro. This is doing the work myself.

2. Last summer, One of my VANOS solenoids went bad. Scanned the car for codes myself to find the issue. Each solenoid was over $200, and I probably could have just replaced the one but ended up replacing both since they were both of the same age and I Was already there.

If either of these situations would cause you serious financial hardship, Don’t buy a BMW.