View Single Post
      01-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I have the base system. I'm not planning to just replace the speaker. It would be a total upgrade sans the head unit. I'm not sure what the exact crossover frequency of the mid/sub transition is but it has been estimated to be somewhere around 200-250 Hz. I have never experienced audible distortion from the subs at any sane listening level. The base system is actually pretty good and sometimes I feel like doing a total upgrade might not be worth it because there is not a lot of room for improvement.
The sweet spot in the OEM Premium system 4" components is around 150Hz. I tried 250Hz first, then 200Hz and finally 150Hz ended up being the best sounding crossover point between the SWS-8 and the OEM 4" drivers.

About that OEM moisture barrier in the door, I would not mess with it unless you create another moisture barrier on whatever hole you make. Water and moisture always find ways of messing things up. I would say, replace the underseat woofers first with the SWS-8 or with a custom shallow 10", tune it to 250Hz/200Hz/150Hz and listen to each case. Then decide if you will need extra mid bass from the 4" in the doors.

I think that there is a general misunderstanding on the capabilities of this central bass location and the reason of why BMW combined this bass setup with multiple 4" mids all around. The SWS-8 has to be tuned with an EQ to really get deep -not quite sub deep but it can fool it- and solid mid bass all the way to 250Hz without any sound issues. And some aftermarket 4" drivers -including the Premium OEM- can go down to 150Hz and still provide tight sounding mid bass that can blend nicely with the bass under the seat.
Appreciate 0