12-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #33
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
for unknown reasons you're confusing superseded and just different parts. e.g. maybe you will remove M2 turbo, then compare with usual N55 ewg turbo and will report - guys, part numbers are different but I've checked turbine/compressor wheels dimensions - they're actually the same turbos! But they're not. Difference is in manifold and N55 turbo comes together with the manifold, that's why M2 turbo has another part no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
I will not go strictly by part numbers when it comes to engines in the same family. This can also be true with transmission parts for these cars as well. Yes years can vary with different parts it is a real mess Like I said
I have seen this with MB/AMG . The only true and accurate way to confirm what you have is when you have the actual motors from the different cars broken down right in front of your face. M235,335i,M2 let me see an actual motor broken down and each part compared. You will be surprised to find out how the different part numbers can actually be for the same part and sometimes depending on year. Some part numbers become discontinued and they will give a totally different part number for the same exact part. Happens to Engine parts,tranny parts and even suspension parts.

I have seen this with M50,52,S50,52 motors in the E36. Many interchangeable parts ,some with different part #s but the exact same part.

Just to throw this they also have an aluminum block M52 motor and a cast iron M52 block. Lots of folks did not know this. I always like to see the motors in person before the car maker starts spewing out differences for marketing purposes. Sometimes they are correct and sometimes the info is way off.
I've actually been looking for those turbo specs. Do you mind sharing what numbers you found for wheel and housing sizes? Maybe even A/R?
Appreciate 0