07-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Fronts have built in bump stops and for the rear one just use the standard ones as per Bilstein instructions.
The rear bump stops are built within the rear shock cover/sleeve and to be honest I don't think this will be an issue. You would need to seriously compress the vehicle in order to hit the stops.

I dont have the pictures yet as I had leave the next day for a week, but as soonest im back I will post some.

Check the front damper tho and its travel limit before the bump stop is hit. As well, thats around 3,5" inches of movement. Judging by how the car drives now, I honestly cannot see it compressing that much. Even going over the ramps shes pretty firm.
To do a bump travel test you'd need to measure your hub to fender distance with the car on the ground, then put the car in the air, remove the spring, jack the knuckle back to the distance that gives you the same hub to fender distance as on the ground, and then measure the amount of shock body/shaft left.

With my Eibach front springs on my B6 bodies that distance was 2.25" of front shock body remaining and with the M3 front springs it was 2.75." The internal bump stops on my B6 were 2.5" long, and even after trimming them 0.5" so they weren't pre-compressed at static ride height they couldn't hold up to my driving and were torn to pieces within a couple thousand miles.

You're likely already compressing the B8 front bump stops if there's 3.5" of shock body remaining when the bump stops engage.

For the rear did you jack up the knuckle to static ride height position to determine you have lots of travel before bump stop engagement? If not, you may already be engaging (like I was) and that may be the cause of the ride feeling pretty firm.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0