View Single Post
      12-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi, 435xi

Summer: Staggered 19s Winter 'Square' 18s

BMW and a lot of BMW owners generally recommend a 'square' setup (equal rim width, front and rear) with wheel size reduced to 18 inches.
===============
Here's an earlier message I posted in response to a similar question:

Judging by the absence of responses, perhaps a lot of 335i/435i owners facing winter conditions have followed the "-1" route and downsized to 18-inch wheels.

- reducing the wheel diameter by 1 in. (radius by 0.5 in.) means the sidewall will be roughly 0.5 in. higher if overall diameter is kept constant
- the higher sidewall will be more compliant, which reduces the risk of bending or cracking a rim during 'pothole season'
- winter tires on a narrower 18-in. wheel will be both cheaper and narrower than a 19-in. tire.
- a narrower tire will perform better in snow and slush ('cutting through' -- with a reduced tendency to 'float over' or aquaplane)
- I use a 'square' setup with 225/45-R18 winter tires. The winter tire is almost 2.5 in. narrower than the 255/35-R19 summer tire it replaces

Here's my setup: 18-in. BBS-SR wheels with Continental WinterContact 830P tires.

Since there's no snow in Toronto yet and temperatures remain well above freezing, you might consider ordering the BBS wheels, which may be available by January. Alternatively, SimplyTire.com in north Toronto offers a few replica wheel and tire packages for BMW. I bought the BBS wheels and Continental TS830P tires there (tire recommended by BMW -- '*' designation)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0