View Single Post
      05-13-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
f30vince
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 BMW 328i Luxury Line

Question F30 3G to 4G ComBox Upgrade Question

So I have a 2014 F30 328i xDrive with a build date of 3/2014. It's equipped with the following options:

* S609A- Navigation System Professional
* S655A- Satellite Tuner
* S6ACA- Intelligent Emergency Call
* S6AKA- Connected Drive Services
* S6AMA- RealTime Traffic Information
* S6APA- Remote Services
* S6NRA- Apps
* S6NSA- Convenience Phone Expanded Smartphone

I've heard that my car has the 3G GSM combox, but I've heard that AT&T (who provides the service for the combox) is discontinuing, or has already discontinued, 3G GSM service. I've also heard that you can have the 3G GSM combox "upgraded" to the 4G LTE combox so that you can continue using BMW Connected Drive Services. I'd like to continue being able to use these services. I was wondering if anyone has had the upgrade done, and if my car (with the options listed above and built in 3/2014) is eligible for the 4G LTE combox upgrade. I had some questions:

1.) What is involved in the combox upgrade and what is the cost of doing so?
2.) I've heard that there are occasional Bluetooth issues after the upgrade. Has anyone had any such issues?
3.) Will the 4-year, 50k-mile extended service plan from BMW cover the upgrade? I bought the car BMW CPO and bought the extended service plan in addition to the 4-year, 50k plan that came with the car. So far, every time I've taken the car for anything, I haven't had to pay for anything to be done to it.
4.) Is it also possible to have the dealer add Apple CarPlay when they upgrade the combox, or is it more involved than just coding it? My mom, who drives the car the most, has an iPhone 7, and I'm sure she'd love if she had it.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Vince
Appreciate 2