Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
the difference that you can't compare a dyno chart with throttle response on a turbo car. when you shift an N/A car, you pick up exactly where the dyno reads at a given rpm. when shifting a turbo car, the line changes and you start from a low power/torque point and it builds as boost increases.

so when people say they want linear response, you can't get that from a turbo car. the boost increase is linear, but the response is not. you have to wait for the torque.

but i love turbo cars for the same reason i love manuals. i like feeling the boost/torque build on every shift.
Yes, your understanding is correct. And it is hard to explain to those who haven't experienced previous gen BMWs with NA engines + MT.
For the record, I owned a 328is with a manual as well. I understand the differences between throttle response on NA and turbo applications, both absolutely have their respective benefits. However, to discourage getting a six speed because it is not "effective" is a farce.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0