View Single Post
      03-31-2020, 05:11 PM   #441
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i

I wanted to report a heart-stopping experience I had using MG Flasher.

I'm always super careful when I do flash updates. I turn off everything, airplane mode, make sure not to touch the cable or phone, plug in the seat belt, shallow breathing, etc.
This last time, I was doing a major update that I didn't realize was going to take as long as it did.

About 20% into the flashing, I had need to exit the car. Trying to be as smooth as I could, I was almost out. As I pulled my leg out of the car I hooked the flash cable with my foot and pulled the OBD-II connector right out of the dash!! Mid-flash! My heart stopped as I tried to not think about how I had just bricked my car.

After reconnecting the cable, I restarted the flash and got an error. Ok, suspending all panic and fears.. don't think about the possibilities, re-connected, starting from scratch, MG Flasher recognized the bad state; that was a good sign. The software went on to do a recovery and then restarted the flash. Flash completed successfully!

Thanks Jarek for taking the time to make a product more intelligent than some of its users.