03-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #101
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
I found the same thing after I installed the F8X wishbones

To be fair, I have F30 335, H&R sport springs, and I run a 18x9 ET42 wheel on the front with a 5mm spacer and 265/35R18 tires (Federal 595 RS-R at the moment)

The wishbones did a few things
- added about 1 deg of neg camber (sweet)
- moved the top of the wheel out a bit (reducing clearance to the fender)
- moved the wheel about 1/2 in forward in the wheel well, adding some caster (and further reducing clearance to the fender)

Immediately I noticed rubbing on the 1-3 o'clock position on the fender during suspension compression

I removed the 5mm spacers and replaced with 3mm spacers

Rubbing was reduced to all but basically bump-stop compression

To be absolutely fair, this is with WAY wider tires up front than stock - if you run stock 225's I can't imagine having the same issues. But I never had issues rubbing prior to the wishbone install.

Also, when you install the wishbones - align the front for toe before going anywhere - at least try to get it close. The F8X wishbones are 1" longer and will throw the toe out by a crazy amount. I put the car on the ground and the front was basically cross-eyed - had to run the tie-rods out by at least a 1/2 inch on each side to get it close. Spent some quality time later getting everything perfect.

Review: Even with the rubbing, I'm keeping them. You'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
That is good information to share with the community.
Am I likely to experience rubbing with the following setup?

Suspension: Either BMW M Performance Suspension Kit or Ohlins Road and Track coilovers.

Wheels: APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 ET38 (no spacers)
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18

The wishbones sounds like a modification that will requirement an immediate alignment afterwards before even leaving the premises.
Appreciate 0