Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.oom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
And yet still no true 911 or AMG GT competitor...
i8 is targeting the base Carrera, with similar ouput and performance; and while the Porsche is ancient regarding the technology it is using, the BMW is coming with the latest trend. The i8 is the direct competitor for the 911, even if it is more expensive.
Basically, the i8 is a 911 reinvented and this is the only road that Porsche will have to follow in order to align with whatever rules a car maker has to comply with.

Recently, Porsche stated the fact that the 911 will be the last of its models that will be electrified. On another article (2-3 months old, I suppose) they were claiming that their future depends on the Taycan (former Mission E) success.

This would draw a single conclusion for me: they will use the conventional engines one more generation and then forced to change; a change that will obviously copy what BMW is already doing: the i8. This is why I'm wondering why BMW is skeptic regarding the 2nd gen i8. Is a future winning formula as a product, but I suppose not for a good ROI (return on investment). Let's hope for the best.

And as long as Porsche won't offer a hybrid 911, the i8 won't have a real competitor and this is a problem for BMW. (again, the ROI) Also, this is another reason why i8 comes with a single engine configuration.

And regarding the AMG, that's a truck. "We can build a bigger(powerfull) engine, fit bigger brakes, install bigger whatever" (exhausts, eventually); just like a kid that can do more to advertise its skills and dominate the other - personally, I find this childish for an 100 year old company. This philosophy won't produce long term success (in terms of perception), just pumped-up momentums. I'll pass.
Mercedes doesn't know anything about "subtle", only about "oppulence" and "obvious"; they became so commercial oriented/obsessed, they started to forgot about their values and what's even more surprising is that they started to copy everything that allow them to stay under the radar. Shameful, for a company that wants to be a leader.
Having worked for both BMW and now Porsche, I can tell you that the i8 is definitely not considered to be a direct competitor to the 911 by either brand. Drive them both and that is very apparent.
clbmw632.50
CP911985.50
kzflags94.50
alex23642860.00