View Single Post
      01-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

DIY - Quick and dirty rear shelf rattle fix

So looks like my newly installed m perf exhaust is waking up. Getting slightly louder every day (good!)...

So the rattles / buzzing and clicking are starting to come out, going to try to actually deal with them with the F30, unlike with the E92 I just lived with them.

So, I had a persistant rear shelf rattle.

I know the correct way to deal with this is to pull the rear shelf out and felt the shit out of it... But I didn't want to do that...

I recall with the E9X series there was a "tennis ball" fix that was employed by some. Looks like it doesnt work with the F30 as from the trunk it looks like its (upwards):

Trunk ceiling, padding (sound insulation), empty space, rear shelf.

So if you stuff a tennis ball in the trunk area, you are just moving the padding up.

So here is what I did (on both sides):

WARNING : I recommend wearing gloves. Thats fiber glass the padding is made off. I didnt. Hands don't feel too nice right now.

A) Remove the speaker covers. Simple snap in. Long finger nails or trim tool.

B) Remove mid range speakers. 3 T20 bolts. You will need a wrench or an allan key style T20 as there is not enough clearnance between the glass and the screws to get a screw driver in there.

C) You will need 2 tennis balls. One for each side. Cut a hole in each so they can "deflate".

D) Stuff the tennis ball between the speaker and the "ceiling" of the trunk. Initially, it will look as though there is no way the speaker can fit with the tennis ball there. The "trick" is to have the ball sit on the side of the speaker and the wall facing the front of the vehicle. Since the ball is cut and can deflate, if you get the screws in there and tighten them down it will squeeze and create tension (quite a bit of it to boot...) facing up (towards the sky).

E) Tighten the speaker down.

F) Enjoy.

For me it worked. I am using test tones to find these annoying rattles and the rear shelf is now dead silent.

Next up, the 3rd brake light.
Appreciate 0