View Single Post
      02-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep
Drives: 2011.99 E92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
How large will you be printing? Large prints (50" and above) are where MF bodies/backs have a clear advantage; however, even that is slipping with high resolution, FF bodies, like the 5DS with 52mp. Lens availability is limited, in comparison, and tend to be very expensive.

IMO, unless you're printing large, there's no advantage to a MF body. I haven't found the subject and taken the shot yet, but I plan to print something from my 5DS R at 72" within the next year. Looking at my images, so far, at 400%, I think that the results can be stunning.

It's so much more than just large prints. Certainly it's an added benefit if you are printing large, but the overall IQ is leaps and bounds ahead. I've rented cameras just to compare to my Phase One, including the 5Ds and the a7rII, and there really is no comparison. The gap between DSLR and Medium Format may have been minimized a little over the last couple years, but hardly as close as you think it is. I recommend testing out a Medium Format setup, if you haven't already done so....I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0