View Single Post
      03-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #36
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixNeo View Post
woowww !!!, you drove lot of bimmers (saw from signature)
Ya, old guy here. Been driving BMWs since my mid-20s. I love the brand and still consider myself a "BMW Guy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixNeo View Post
what made you to switch to an A6?
Back in the day, there was a pretty clear lineup on the sports car <> luxury car continuum. Merc was to the right with rock-solid luxury. BMW was to the left. No one built the sports car of business saloons like they did. And Audi was in the middle. Beautiful, avant-grade style with driving dynamics betrayed by chasses that started life as common front wheel driver-ers.

Merc's done a good job getting sportier. Younger people don't (necessarily) feel like an old man driving one. But BMW really shifted hard to the left, more luxury-oriented side. And Audi really developed quattro with a primary purpose of enhancing driving dynamics. Foul weather traction is just a nice added benefit. Meanwhile, BMW's xDrive was all about foul weather traction and sapped out anything that was left of the sport in its business saloons.

But I hung on until BMW jettisoned the manual on pretty much everything other than the 3er. I tried to get into that car, but it was just too much of a step down. That got me to looking much more closely at Audi. And others too. If you had posted this thread on a BMW board 10 years ago, you would have been (correctly) shouted down. Mercilessly. The even-keeled responses here show how much that has changed.

Anyway, like others I have high hopes for the next gen 3er. I'm hoping for an M340 that will really compete with the S4.

Last edited by hinckley; 03-29-2017 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
Bbb34730.50
donkey458.50