RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I just had this problem occur on my 1/13 build 335i last week. Driving normally, "ding", and there's the message. Shut the car off, waited 30 seconds, turned it on, and no evidence of the fault. 15 minutes later, another one. And then nothing for a few days after that.

Made an appt. at dealer and took it in - car only has 2700 miles on it, and no other apparent problems. Turns out it was a faulty auxiliary cooling fan - the smaller one that the M-Sport cars get, not the main fan - and the biggest challenge was finding one. My dealer didn't have one, nor did the dealer I bought it from up in Austin, and it took nearly a day, but they located one at a dealership in VA (although they didn't want to give it up despite having 4 in stock instead of 1 like everyone else who had one). It arrived here yesterday, they installed it and tested it and no more malfunctions.

What I heard along the way was that BMW was aware of the defective fans and is going to have a big shipment of them going out a the end of this month, but they probably won't arrive at the dealerships until around July 10. So - if you encounter this issue, be prepared to wait. Fortunately, this didn't affect how the car drove at all - no limp mode, no reduced driveability. Best thing to do if they don't have the fan in stock is schedule your appt. for after they arrive, or your car will sit at the dealership until it does.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0