01-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #25
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I have OEM LED's, and they are ABOSLUTE GARBAGE for light output. Not misleading anyone. Search the forums, and you will find tons of threads talking about how poor they are and much worse than the HID's they replaced. Even the IIHS rates them as junk.

Even in the new G20, same deal:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1692789

So my recommendation to the OP stands: Try them before you waste your money. It would be an expensive OEM upgrade that will most likely leave you underwhelmed and disappointed.

Other brands (like my Audi SQ5) hit the mark with LED headlights, but BMW is a swing and miss.

There's certainly no harm in what you're recommending but I've read those kinds comments before and couldn't help but feel they were hyperbolic (at least from within the BMW family). So I personally would think any proper Xenon/LED setup would be an upgrade from halogens he has.

It's all relative though. I've now had decent experience with Nissan/Infiniti/Toyota/Lexus/VW/Audi halogens/reflector HIDs/bi-xenon HIDs and I think the BMW LEDs I have are just as good if not better. My father's VW OEM adaptive bi-xenons (35W, 4500k) are not great and I def would say unequivocally that my LEDs are brighter, more even, and have a sharper cutoff. I personally havent had access to the latest gen of LED/Laser lights either though.

I sat in a friend's Ford Fusion (Mondeo in other markets) with OEM LEDs and within minutes into the ride, I was wondering why the LEDs were so dim at illuminating the road in front. So I understand that they are not all created equally.

Last edited by jnj2455; 01-30-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0