View Single Post
      12-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #106
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I should have known I would leave my first dealership experience annoyed, but TL/DR: They overfilled both reservoirs and sent me on my way.

Scenario
I tried to get to the dealer early so I could leave the car outside to cool off for a bit before they brought it in, but my newborn pretty much made the decision for me that I was going to get there after they opened. In hindsight, I should have waited in the car 15-20min so I would know it's cooled off, so my mistake there. Anyway, I parked outside with the hood up and walked inside to explain the situation, and they insisted that I just bring it in and they'll top it off right then. Apparently everyone else that actually had appointments at opening time hadn't showed yet, and they knew they were going to get really busy when a bunch of people showed up at once. So i let them bring it in, watched them wince and jump at trying to open the reservoir while the engine was still hot and steam was coming out, but finally they got it open after it cooled down slightly and pressure was relieved. I then saw the tech pouring coolant in both reservoirs. I explained that only the large tank was low, but he insisted that it was actually the small tank that was low because "i can still see coolant circulating in the large tank." Probably not the best time to measure coolant levels, eh? So I stopped him but of course it was too late.

The funny thing was the SA also insisted that my coolant loss may come from blowing past the "pressure relief valve" (pointing to the bleed screw on the reservoir), but "it's normal because twin power engines run hot." They did however insist that if it dropped again, they would do an inspection for leaks under warranty. Just not sure how i feel about their competency after this ordeal.

Current coolant levels as follows:

Large Reservoir

Small Reservoir
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0