squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVu View Post

Squidlyboy,

Are you going for a QUAD SET UP?!? My Bixenon/hi beam set up is Bright as hell but you are right, it does leave that hole empty.
You can thank beinarcis for that I contacted TRS and they said its do-able, and actually pretty common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienarcis View Post
hahaha I too am a big form guy. And you know exactly what I'm saying! The light would be SO bright but still focused and not blinding since there's a cutoff. I actually got the idea cause I saw a 2015 M6 the last week at night. They use LED low beams for both inner and outer rings and it looked so good. They also have the OEM extrusions so I was drooling over em.

The mini H1's I have are actually equipped with just 35w HIDs. But I think your idea with matchbox projectors would look clean and more uniform too. I just don't know about the size when compared to the h1. It's kinda too small for my liking but I can't be for sure unless I see them in person.

I really wanna try it but I don't know if I risk damaging something with 35w+35w from just the low beam wire. I can't find anyone who's tried it on any car.
TRS said that even with QUAD Matchbox's ...the output would not be enough. They said its not the 35w that's the problem (most of the HIDs they sell are all 35w and it throws out PLENTY of light ~3200 lumens) - its the size, diameter, and shape of the Matchbox projector that causes the light output to be lacking... so... its back to the H1s. They said H1's will work fine with BMW F30's but that you have to cut a bigger hole in the reflectors to get them ALL the way back. But that they will fit and you can get them flush (easily). I guess you know since you did it on yours...

Here's the cool thing: they said you can easily use your low-beam wiring to power dual bi-xenons (quad H1's @35w) and the power/wattage consumption is not an issue. They said the low-beam 55w wiring capacity is irrelevant because they have a special wiring splitter/harness that is meant for quad retrofits. Your low-beam wiring would only be used as a "signal" to activate two relays, which ultimately would be responsible for powering the dual bi-Xenons.

So in this quad configuration...

low-beams -> activates all four xenon projectors (dual bi-xenons) in both the low and high beam reflectors. Solenoids off/shutters down.
high-beams -> activates all solenoids/shutters to produce an ungodly amount of light

Of course you know having quad xenon lights is completely for aesthetics, and the insane amount of light produced is completely un-necessary, redundant, wasteful and is to only to stoke the ego ... and turn heads how sweet it is .. lolz

if you head over to hidplanet.com and search on 'quad retrofit' you'll see a bunch of people who have done it. Its somewhat controversial just because of the amount of light produced, the difficulty in getting the cut-offs to align in both sets of housings (i.e. low-beams and high-beams apparently have different optimal adjustment angles), and using different projectors/lights in low vs high to make up for shortcomings in the other.

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-20-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0