View Single Post
      09-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Front end wobble noise over small bumps at low speeds

Hoping that someone can help me pinpoint this issue. When going over bumps or road imperfections at low speeds, I get a wobbling noise coming from the front end of the car. It sounds like a blown strut, but it isn't....It just sounds like it. It happens when going straight over a crack in the road that touches both tires at the same time. If I drive over a man-hole cover with just one tire, it doesn't make the noise. It doesn't do it when turning, or at high speeds.

I put the car on ramps, removed the belly pan, and looked for things out of the ordinary. I found nothing, no leaky anything, no loose anything, nothing. I checked things like the charge-pipe, the intercooler, the waste-gate, the turbo, etc... Common issues like the sway bar links, or tie-rod ends seemed fine... nothing was easily moved by hand. I even checked the motor on the steering rack which has been known to have sheared bolts connecting the motor to the rack.

I've searched to find information about this, or similar cases. Ultimately, I learned that the rack and pinion could cause the noise. I've read about the rack being replaced and the issue leaving and eventually returning. I've read about the rack being replaced and the issue never retuning. I've read about the rack being replaced and it not fixing the issue.... I've noticed zero issues with steering, but since it only makes the noise when it tracks straight, it does point to this part.

I have CPO coverage until 2020, but don't want to pay $150 for them to tell me it's normal. I'd like to find the issue before going to the dealership so I can tell them to look at and replace xxxx part. Drivability isn't affected, it's just an annoying noise.

I have the adaptive suspension.

Anyone have/had this issue that they were able to fix?