Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk32 View Post
Apologies for the delay in replying; I was trying (and failing) to do some more research so that I could provide informed answers to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Why can't you activate CarPlay natively on your idrive? Things have changed a bit in coding. If you have the right equipment you can activate CarPlay with legit BMW codes from the factory that won't break idrive or anything else.
The only legit way that I understand is to purchase CarPlay activation through the connected drive store. This is refused with "This service is not available for your BMW", I assume because the Wifi antenna wasn't fitted at the factory.

What's the process for getting legit BMW codes from the factory? What's involved in getting them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
You will need WiFi or the ability for it and you will need enhanced Bluetooth. I'm assuming you have ID6 with the 19'?
I do have ID6 (so far as I can tell based upon comparision with ID6 screenshots online). Given that BimmerTech offered me the WiFi antenna, I'm assuming that one isn't fitted. However, the retrofit looks extremely simple, so I'm confident of doing it myself. I'm not sure if I have enhanced bluetooth. It's not listed as an option for my VIN at https://www.mdecoder.com. However, the descriptions of EBT (browse music on a phone via the iDrive) matches the functionality I observe, so it's possible that I do have it. How can I tell for sure?

Thanks,

Chris.
It would say if you have it, though without looking it up again I can't say exactly what makes it enhanced. It is however super easy to code after the fact. The WiFi is only included if you also have the wireless charging pad in the arm rest. However the us spec entry nav 2 HU seems to have the port on the back to simply add the WiFi antenna. Kies motorsports YouTube channel has a fantastic video showing the install of a retrofit to see how to do it all.

For CarPlay to work you will need enhanced BT and WiFi. Then you will need the codes to be remotely installed. My codes came from Steve at codemybimmer.ca. He remotes in through your computer to install them and actives CarPlay. You can compare your car to mine and see if everything else lines up aside from BT and WiFi to make sure it will work and then reach out to Steve. Vb98560 is the end of my vin
Appreciate 0