View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #74
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve zzr View Post
I drive a f30 330d se, and it is averaging around 48mpg mixed driving and 58 mpg on a gentle motorway cruise about 60/70mph (on eco pro) which i think is excellent for a 3ltr 6 cylinder turbo diesel, insurance was quoted at £355 though BMW. but I am over 50. also went for the 5yr service plan.
I recently had a manual 320d f30 as a loan car while mine was in for a paint issue, and i have to say there is no contest, i thought the 320d was very noisy and unrefined and i wasn't impressed the gearbox either. road noise is an issue on both versions however. unacceptable for this class of car!
I drove a 330D SE for 3-4 days a month ago on 18 inch wheels and (IIRC) noisy Bridgestones that drove me mad (but nobody else who had a ride thought there was anything wrong - I must have delicate ears!) - that aspect of refinement was very disappointing. Also had a quick 10 mile test of auto 320ED (16 inch) and still thought the road noise was too high - but felt very underwhelmed by the car generally compared to the 330. I thought the ride & handling of the SE were more than acceptable - no need for Sport for me

Disappointing to hear that you find the 17 inch wheel/tyre combo to be too noisy, though - that's what I was thinking of getting
Appreciate 0