View Single Post
      06-26-2021, 12:55 AM   #68
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

An update from the German 120i on Facebook that had piston damage -
"Hello everyone again. I don't have the car for nearly 2 months now, but I thought it may be helpful for some people to report back what the actual cause was. As my tuner was very curious and wanted to know what could possibly be the reason for fail, they checked everything. As BMW warranty didn't pay for it, I could keep the old engine anyways so I had no problem with giving it to them till they maybe find something.
To sum up: One injector was faulty and that's what broke the cylinder. The injectors were checked and the one from the broken cylinder was totally stuck upon, so it kind of "flooded" and hydro-locked the cylinder, that's how they described it. So basically the pressure was so high in the cylinder and the amount of fuel that big, that it kind of acted like a water-damage. I also have the analyses from the injectors and the other 3 were fine. Sadly, it was not case were the injector just started leaking some time ago, but the solenoid itself broke so it was a "sudden" defect somehow.
Small part, big damage.
Keep enjoying your cars!"

It seems that his tune was safe after all and the injector was the cause of damage. Now, since this was a case of sudden damage, what should be a good prevention method? Along with spark plugs and ignition coils, are fuel injectors also something that should be changed after a certain mileage?
Appreciate 1
SRHosein195.00