11-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #91
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah, it's hard to tell since BMW is trying to keep this under the wraps where they can. That being said, assuming the date change is correct, they likely changed it because cars were still going to be made up until N2X was completely phased out. It's still used in some cars and apparently, mid-2016 was the end for it in our US 328i's. So, that would prompt them to change it regardless of the B series engine entering. Even a few months, IMO, would prompt it seeing as quite a few engines could be produced in that time frame, leading to a chance of more failures.

At the end of the day, while it can be scary to know that the issue exists, the chances are low in proportion to the amount of N2Xs in the world. Performing your preventive maintenance (including even changing out the tensioner), doing regular checks, turning off Auto Start/Stop, letting the car warm up, etc., should go a long way.

I personally get my oil changed every 5k miles and ensure I check the filter for any foreign objects. I also throw in Ceratec (supposed to reduce friction) every few oil changes. My chain is checked every 1k or so to check for any deep scoring or change in the amount of slack.

Those are just a few things I do and it can't hurt for anyone else to as well, should they see fit. I'm at 93k now with no foreseeable issues and hoping it stays that way. Lol.
Agreed, chances are low of being affected, but like you said still a bit scary nonetheless lol. It would just be nice if we were certain about the facts surrounding the issue like we usually can be with manufacturing defects. Also agree that a lot of it is in the hands of the owner. Keeping the chain lubed up with fresh oil/short intervals, letting it get warm before driving, no AS/S all helps for sure.